ABOUT DESCARTES UNDERWRITING
Descartes was born out of the conviction that climate change calls for a revolutionary approach in insurance to better protect corporations, governments, and vulnerable communities. We offer a new generation of parametric insurance that builds resilience against the full spectrum of climate and emerging risks. Utilizing Machine Learning and real-time monitoring from satellite imagery & IoT, our state-of-the-art climate tech provides innovative coverage for all trade sectors in all regions of the world. After a successful Series B raise of $120M USD, Descartes Underwriting is proud to be recognized among the French Tech Next40 and launched Descartes Insurance, a ‘full stack’ insurer licensed to underwrite risk by the French Regulator (ACPR). With a growing corporate client base (350+ and counting) - our diverse team is headquartered in Paris and operates out of our 13 global offices in North America, Europe, Australia, Singapore, Hong Kong and Japan.
In 2023, Descartes started to expand beyond natural risks into cyber insurance and other new lines of business and built an exceptional team made of R&D data scientists, Underwriting Data Scientists, cyber and technology experts and seasoned insurers.
The newly created team fully leverages the modelling tools and expertise of the Descartes Group and liaises with the Strategy team.
ABOUT YOUR ROLE
We are searching for an R&D Manager to continue to build and manage a team in charge of models for our suite of cyber products and new lines of business.
As part of your role, you will oversee the development of models of multiple business use cases including our first models powered by Large Language Models (LLM) and manage and recruit people to build future models aligned with the Company’s objective.
🔔 KEY MISSIONS 🔔
Your tasks will include:
- Working closely with the Underwriting, DSD (Data, Software and DevOps) and Strategic managers to set the direction and goals;
- Providing a strong technical direction for your team;
- Ensuring compliance to internal standards and practices;
- Presenting the progress and goals;
- Contributing to the R&D roadmap;
- Leading & coaching your R&D team to consistently deliver according to their roadmap;
- Providing expertise to help your team;
- Making sure that code produced by the modelling team comply with code quality standards defined by software engineers and that procedures are respected before putting in production;
- Identifying the potential partnerships with internal and external partners to develop our projects and models in the interest of Descartes;
- Supporting the underwriting team by establishing and maintaining regular meetings with underwriters and business stakeholders to collect their feedback and needs.
To participate in:
- Development of new products and lines of business with all teams in particular the Strategic team, innovation team and business Teams
- Modeling the risks of underlying contracts;
- The choice of modelling solutions;
- Discussions with data partners;
- Improving the skills of your technical staff.
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS 👩💻
- 3+ years of managing experience or project management;
- Model roadmap;
- Scoping and identifying solutions with business team;
- Handling human interactions between model and business.
- 3 to 5 years of experience as a software engineer or data scientist;
- Solid knowledge in Python;
- Solid modelling background;
- Master in computer science, mathematics, physics or earth science;
- Broad knowledge production development workflow; Knowledge in deployment of AI models is a plus;
- Fluent in English and in French.
- Strong communication skills;
- Interested in cyber and technology risks modelling;
- Strong team spirit and ability to work under pressure;
- Eagerness to solve complex problems and technical challenges;
- Strong desire to learn and commitment to the organization’s mission;
- Results oriented, high energy, with the ability to work in a dynamic and multi-cultural environment.
WHY JOIN DESCARTES UNDERWRITING?
- Join a company with a true purpose – help us help our clients be more resilient towards climate and emerging risks;
- A competitive salary, bonus and benefits (Premium health insurance, Swile restaurant vouchers, Navigo reimbursement etc.);
- The opportunity to grow in your role, as the company does;
- Commitment from Descartes to its staff of continued learning and development (annual seminars, training etc.);
- Be part of a collaborative and diverse team where your ideas are heard;
- A paid referral scheme for successfully referring peers;
- You can benefit from a punctual home office days.
- Frequent team events.
HOW TO APPLY?
You may check off several but not necessarily all the expected boxes? Motivation and feeling are key elements for us!
If you want to develop your skills and work in a friendly startup atmosphere, don’t hesitate and send us your application! https://www.descartesunderwriting.com/careers/
At Descartes Underwriting, we are committed to fighting against all forms of discrimination and for equal opportunities. We foster an inclusive work environment that respects all differences.
With equal skills, all our positions are open to people with disabilities.