ABOUT DESCARTES UNDERWRITING
Descartes was born out of the conviction that climate change calls for a revolutionary approach in insurance to better protect corporations, governments, and vulnerable communities. We offer a new generation of parametric insurance that builds resilience against the full spectrum of climate and emerging risks. Utilizing Machine Learning and real-time monitoring from satellite imagery & IoT, our state-of-the-art climate tech provides innovative coverage for all trade sectors in all regions of the world. After a successful Series B raise of $120M USD, Descartes Underwriting is proud to be recognized among the French Tech Next40 and launched Descartes Insurance, a ‘full stack’ insurer licensed to underwrite risk by the French Regulator (ACPR). With a growing corporate client base (350+ and counting) - our diverse team is headquartered in Paris and operates out of our 14 global offices in North America, Europe, Australia, Singapore, and Hong Kong.
ABOUT YOUR ROLE
As part of our strong growth, we are looking for an Innovation & Data Owner - CDI to reinforce the R&D team.
In order to support the improvement of our current risk modelling capabilities and our product offering, we handle a vast portfolio of data coming from diverse sources such as satellite, meteorological stations, IoT sensors and radar.
Your tasks will include :
- Be owner of one or several data (radar, satellite, weather stations, etc.) and sensor partners and follow-up products built with these partners:
- In charge of the contractual and business relationship with our data partners used for pricing and claims settlements;
- Support or coordinate the installation process of IoT sensors in different territories;
- Get to know in depth all technical, business and legal aspects related to our insurance product (wording, data used for the development of risk assessment and claim evaluation, models used,..);
- Contribute to the innovation roadmap in partnership with all stakeholders (strategy, sales, underwriting, modelling, legal,..);
- Envisage technological evolutions to further strengthen our product offering by following up actively the technological developments.
- Contribute to our technology and innovation watch as to remain at the forefront of our industry;
- Work autonomously and pragmatically to make appropriate technical decisions;
- Work closely with modelers, underwriters and business developers to understand their needs;
- Source new data and sensor partners for our current and future products;
- Take on responsibilities as both you and the company develop.
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
- Graduated from an Engineering School;
- Masters student in computer science, applied mathematics, statistics or meteorological studies;
- An experience in insurance and/or data is valued;
- Ideally a previous experience (long-term internship) in data science or business;
- Proficient in statistics, applied mathematics and machine learning methods;
- Proficiency in Python (e.g. scikit-learn).
- Rigorous, team spirit;
- Creative and meticulous mind;
- Clear communication skills (be able to transmit expectations & needs of the company);
- Good interpersonal skills;
- English professional;
- Strategical thinker;
- Ability to synthetize complex or technical topics to non-technical audience;
- Strong communication skills with the ability to network and build relationships with leading tech companies;
- Interested in risks understanding and design of insurance products;
- Strong team spirit and ability to work under pressure;
- Eagerness to solve complex problems and technical challenges;
- Strong desire to learn and commit to the organization’s mission;
- Results oriented, high energy, with the ability to work in a dynamic and multi-cultural environment;
- Eager to research about different technologies to help assess the market and take informative decisions;
- Enthusiasm to try new things and gain new skills (e.g. look into legal topics, regulations, etc.).
WHY JOIN DESCARTES UNDERWRITING?
- Opportunity to work and learn with top data scientists from the most prestigious schools and research labs in the world, allowing you to progress towards technical excellence;
- Commitment from Descartes to its staff of continued learning and development (think annual seminars, training etc.);
- Work in a collaborative & professional environment;
- Be part of an international team, passionate about diversity;
- Benefit from a referral scheme for successfully referring peers;
- You can benefit from a punctual home office days.
HOW TO APPLY?
You may check off several but not necessarily all the expected boxes ? Motivation and feeling are key elements for us!
If you want to develop your skills and work in a friendly startup atmosphere, don’t hesitate and send us your application!
At Descartes Underwriting, we are committed to fighting against all forms of discrimination and for equal opportunities. We foster an inclusive work environment that respects all differences.
With equal skills, all our positions are open to people with disabilities.