ABOUT DESCARTES UNDERWRITING
Descartes was born out of the conviction that climate change calls for a revolutionary approach in insurance to better protect corporations, governments, and vulnerable communities. We offer a new generation of parametric insurance that builds resilience against the full spectrum of climate and emerging risks. Utilizing Machine Learning and real-time monitoring from satellite imagery & IoT, our state-of-the-art climate tech provides innovative coverage for all trade sectors in all regions of the world. After a successful Series B raise of $120M USD, Descartes Underwriting is proud to be recognized among the French Tech Next40 and launched Descartes Insurance, a ‘full stack’ insurer licensed to underwrite risk by the French Regulator (ACPR). With a growing corporate client base (250+ and counting) - our diverse team is headquartered in Paris and operates out of our 12 global offices in North America, Europe, Australia, Singapore, and Hong Kong.
ABOUT YOUR ROLE
We are looking to hire a dedicated Internal Controller and Operational Risk Officer to join our Risk Management Team. You will report to the Chief Risk Officer and you will be a key contributor of the deployment of an enterprise risk framework within the entities of the Group, Descartes Insurance and Descartes Underwriting and their affiliates outside France.
Within the Risk Management team, you will participate to the following activities:
As Internal Controller:
- Providing support to 1st line managers to design and operate controls;
- Participating to working groups with business functions to review controls and monitor the risk mitigating action plans;
- Participating to 2nd line control activities for providing independent opinion on the design and operating effectiveness of controls set out by the 1st line.
As Risk Analyst:
- Operational risk identification and assessment through workshops with first lines;
- Operational risk scenarios definition and quantification;
- Monitoring Operational Risk Appetite and alert on any breaches;
- Loss data and incident collection on a regular basis, Key Risk Indicators monitoring and reporting on a regular basis, Reporting on top operational risks;
- Updating and reviewing operational risk policies;
- Monitoring Information risks with specific Key Risk Indicators, action plans;
- Develop Risk Management second opinions on key projects.
And others potential tasks to follow the growth of the company:
- Business Continuity Assessment;
- Solvency II production or reporting;
- Train Descartes employees to develop the Risk Culture;
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
- Graduated from a Business or University or Insurance school with a specialization in audit and/or in internal control;
- 2 or 3 years’ experience in internal control and for the insurance (non life) industry is valued.
- Eye for quality, autonomous and attention to detail;
- Pragmatic, Analytic, team player;
- Good communication skills (written and verbal);
- Fluency in French and English.
- Motivated by insurance and innovation with the ability to work in a dynamic and multi-cultural environment;
- Ability to work in small teams, take initiatives and communicate with business team to support them;
- Willingness to work with business team or engineers to support them and explain risk concepts;
- Ability to assess risk and suggest solutions;
- Eagerness to work in an international and fast growing environment;
- Flexibility and capacity to work on different types of tasks.
WHY JOIN DESCARTES UNDERWRITING?
- Commitment from Descartes to its staff of continued learning and development (think annual seminars, training etc.);
- Work in a collaborative & professional environment;
- Be part of an international team, passionate about diversity;
- Work in an environment which encourages innovations, new ideas and contributes to change the way insurance is done;
- You can benefit from a punctual home office days.
HOW TO APPLY ?
You may check off several but not necessarily all the expected boxes? Motivation and feeling are key elements for us!
If you want to develop your skills and work in a friendly startup atmosphere, don't hesitate and send us your application!
At Descartes Insurance, we are committed to fighting against all forms of discrimination and for equal opportunities. We foster an inclusive work environment that respects all differences. With equal skills, all our positions are open to people with disabilities.