ABOUT DESCARTES UNDERWRITING
Descartes was born out of the conviction that climate change calls for a revolutionary approach in insurance to better protect corporations, governments, and vulnerable communities. We offer a new generation of parametric insurance that builds resilience against the full spectrum of climate and emerging risks. Utilizing Machine Learning and real-time monitoring from satellite imagery & IoT, our state-of-the-art climate tech provides innovative coverage for all trade sectors in all regions of the world. After a successful Series B raise of $120M USD, Descartes Underwriting is proud to be recognized among the French Tech Next40. With a growing corporate client base (150+ and counting) - our diverse team operates out of our global offices headquartered in Paris and based in Singapore, Sydney, New York, London, Madrid, Frankfurt and Hong Kong.
ABOUT YOUR ROLE
We are looking to hire a dedicated Legal and Compliance Counsel to join our Legal and Compliance team. You will report to the General Counsel and you will be a key contributor of the deployment of legal and compliance projects for the entities of the Group, Descartes Insurance and Descartes Underwriting and their affiliates outside France.
Your responsibilities would include:
- Involvement in legal matters including insurance law questions, as well as regulatory and compliance questions (including on review of process, implementation of controls);
- Involved in close cooperation with the underwriting team in the drafting, the review, adaptation of insurance policies and reinsurance agreements tailored to the needs and compliant with laws;
- Providing legal and compliance advice during contract execution, including analyzing contract requirements and provisions as well as legal issues that might impact the business, convert business ideas or take-aways into wordings, guidelines;
- Prepare and maintain standard contracts and guidelines and other commercial documents and tools;
- Answer legal questions on compliance, insurance regulations, corporate law and company secretary matters, prepare and/or review commercial contracts;
- Assuring conformity and consistency in the application of Descartes governance, policies and legal and compliance framework;
- Work on various matters relating to ethics and contract law, intellectual property law.
- Provide advice and assist in relation to any legal dispute or investigation.
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
- 2 to 5 years of experience in legal/compliance positions either in-house or in a law firm, at least part of it working for the insurance (non-life) industry;
- Some experience in the review of insurance policy wording, review of reinsurance arrangements and other insurance related arrangements together with some involvement in insurance regulatory and compliance matters.
- Eye for quality, autonomy and attention to details;
- Analytic, pragmatic, team player;
- Very good communication skills (written and verbal);
- Fluency in French and English (oral and written).
- Motivated by insurance and innovation with the ability to work in a dynamic and multi-cultural environment;
- Ability to work in small teams, take initiatives and communicate with business team to support them;
- Willingness to work with business team, engineers to support them and explain legal concepts;
- Ability to assess risk and suggest solutions;
- Eagerness to work in an international and fast growing environment;
- Flexibility and capacity to work on different types of tasks.
WHY JOIN DESCARTES UNDERWRITING?
- Commitment from Descartes to its staff of continued learning and development (think annual seminars, training etc.);
- Work in a collaborative & professional environment;
- Work in an environment which encourages innovations, new ideas and contributes to change the way insurance is done;
- Be part of an international team, passionate about diversity;
- Benefit from a referral scheme for successfully referring peers.
HOW TO APPLY ?
You may check off several but not necessarily all the expected boxes ? Motivation and feeling are key elements for us!
If you want to develop your skills and work in a friendly startup atmosphere, don’t hesitate and send us your application!https://www.descartesunderwriting.com/careers/
At Descartes Underwriting, we are committed to fighting against all forms of discrimination and for equal opportunities. We foster an inclusive work environment that respects all differences.
With equal skills, all our positions are open to people with disabilities.