ABOUT DESCARTES UNDERWRITING
Descartes was born out of the conviction that climate change calls for a revolutionary approach in insurance to better protect corporations, governments, and vulnerable communities. We offer a new generation of parametric insurance that builds resilience against the full spectrum of climate and emerging risks. Utilizing Machine Learning and real-time monitoring from satellite imagery & IoT, our state-of-the-art climate tech provides innovative coverage for all trade sectors, in all regions of the world.
After a successful Series B raise of $120M USD, Descartes Underwriting is proud to be recognized among the French Tech Next40. With a growing corporate client base (150+ and counting) - our diverse team operates out of our global offices headquartered in Paris and based in Singapore, Sydney, New York, Denver, Atlanta, London, and soon Madrid.
ABOUT YOUR ROLE
In close collaboration with the Head North America for Descartes Insurance Solutions and the Business Development Team, you will aid in business development activities in North America:
- Help build upon Descartes’ corporate broker network in the North American market, building strong relationships to generate new opportunities & secure renewals;
- Promote the value proposition of Descartes’ parametric products as a pro-active element within brokers' strategic toolkit;
- Understand and build upon the North American market needs for parametric offerings in order to generate and maintain meaningful business opportunities;
- Represent Descartes externally at Broker, Client and Industry meetings & events; including occasional public speaking engagements;
- Support the ongoing sales & marketing strategies (incl. digital) for the North American market.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with Paris-based Underwriting & BD teams to optimize business opportunities & meet ratio objectives;
- Coordinate with relevant stakeholders to ensure smooth underwriting and claims settlement processes;
- Monitor insurance industry, and parametric specific, developments in the North American market, effectively communicating insights internally;
- Travel: this position will entail regular domestic travel activities, including overnight stays.
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
- Minimum 3 to 5 years in the North American P&C market, in a business development and/or underwriting capacity;
- Candidates with experience from brokerage firms or underwriting companies highly preferred;
- Expertise in Commercial Property insurance (incl. NatCat) and/or Parametric risk space preferred.
- Fluency in English (written and verbal communication) – required;
- Good command of one additional language (e.g. Spanish, French) – valued;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, incl. sales & negotiation;
- Strong analytical capabilities and financial acumen.
- Results oriented, high energy, with the ability to work in a dynamic and multi-cultural environment;
- Excellent team player with an entrepreneurial mindset and value of diversity;
- Motivated to learn and help improve businesses’ and communities’ resilience to climate change.
WHY JOIN DESCARTES UNDERWRITING?
- Opportunity to work and learn with top data scientists from the most prestigious schools and research labs in France, allowing you to progress towards technical excellence ;
- Commitment from Descartes to its staff of continued learning and development (think annual seminars, training etc.) ;
- Work in a collaborative & professional environment ;
- Be part of an international team, passionate about diversity ;
- Benefit from a referral scheme for successfully referring peers ;
- You can benefit from a remote work mode.
HOW TO APPLY ?
You may check off several but not necessarily all the expected boxes? Motivation and feeling are key elements for us!
If you want to develop your skills and work in a friendly startup atmosphere, don't hesitate and send us your application! https://www.descartesunderwriting.com/careers/
At Descartes Underwriting, we are committed to fighting against all forms of discrimination and for equal opportunities. We foster an inclusive work environment that respects all differences.
With equal skills, all our positions are open to people with disabilities.