WHO WE ARE | Founded in 2018 and headquartered in Paris, Descartes Underwriting was born of the conviction that climate change calls for a revolution in the insurance industry to better protect individuals, businesses, and governments. We provide data-driven insurance products based on satellite imagery and IoT to protect corporate and public sector clients against climate risk and natural catastrophes. Following a Series A funding of 18m USD in September 2020, we opened offices in New York, Singapore, Sydney and London. Today, Descartes’ ambitious and international team of 70+ is proud to protect 150+ clients – several from the Fortune 500 – in 60+ countries.
OUR PURPOSE | Losses from catastrophes and man-made disasters are likely to increase year after year due to demographic density and climate change. We firmly believe that the insurance sector can and must play a critical role in helping enterprises and individuals cope with climate risk. This will require, however, a deep transformation of the sector, as current insurance products often lack transparency, carry expensive premiums, and come with slow claims processing.
OUR APPROACH | True to our namesake, René Descartes, one of the greatest European scientific philosophers of the 17th Century, our company draws a distinct advantage in challenging the approach adopted by traditional insurers. Utilizing forward-looking models and real-time monitoring from satellite imagery, IoT and big data analytics, Descartes’ products help businesses bounce back faster. In collaboration with our partners, our parametric insurance products can serve clients across the globe, from mid-size tickets to EUR +100 million.
Lead Descartes' commercial development in Europe – specific area will depend on the candidate’s experience and language skills. This objective will involve:
- Expanding our corporate broker network in these regions
- Adapting our sales and marketing strategy to these markets
- Implementing digital sales and marketing strategies, as well as
- Implementing direct sales and marketing actions
Relationship with risk carriers
Identify risk carriers in the targeted regions with a good strategic fit in order to:
- Strengthen Descartes' brand and trust in Europe
- Increase Descartes' available capacity and offering in Europe
Qualifications & Experience
- 2 to 5 years experience in a business development position in the B2B space
- Ideally familiar with Corporate insurance
- Graduated with an engineering or business degree
- Interest in working in a company with a purpose, aiming towards improving businesses’ and communities’ resilience to climate change
- Team spirit, results-driven and entrepreneur-minded
- Languages: English + German or Spanish
What's in it for you?
- Work in a rewarding and international environment
- Gain exposure to working with top management
- Commitment from Descartes to its staff of continued learning and development (think annual seminars, training etc.)
- Frequent team events