About Descartes Underwriting
WHO WE ARE | Founded in 2018 and headquartered in Paris, Descartes Underwriting was born of the conviction that climate change calls for a revolution in the insurance industry to better protect individuals, businesses, and governments. We provide data-driven insurance products based on satellite imagery and IoT to protect corporate and public sector clients against climate risk and natural catastrophes. Following a Series A funding of 18m USD in September 2020, we opened offices in New York, Singapore, Sydney and London. Today, Descartes’ ambitious and international team of 40+ is proud to protect 150+ clients – several from the Fortune 500 – in 60+ countries.
OUR PURPOSE | Losses from catastrophes and man-made disasters are likely to increase year after year due to demographic density and climate change. We firmly believe that the insurance sector can and must play a critical role in helping enterprises and individuals cope with climate risk. This will require, however, a deep transformation of the sector, as current insurance products often lack transparency, carry expensive premiums, and come with slow claims processing.
OUR APPROACH | True to our namesake, René Descartes, one of the greatest European scientific philosophers of the 17th Century, our company draws a distinct advantage in challenging the approach adopted by traditional insurers. Utilizing forward-looking models and real-time monitoring from satellite imagery, IoT and big data analytics, Descartes’ products help businesses bounce back faster. In collaboration with our partners, our parametric insurance products can serve clients across the globe, from mid-size tickets to EUR +100 million.
About the role
As a versatile and efficient candidate, you will work on a variety of topics and tasks demonstrating your ability to manage several projects at once and to the highest standard. In close collaboration with our HQ, you will support our Hubs in the APAC region on back office, middle office and operational processes.
LOCAL HUB MANAGEMENT
- Facilities coordination, including managing stationery stock, organizing social events, ordering broker gifts
- HR & administrative tasks e.g. annual/paid leave requests, organizing travel calendars and schedules
- Assisting the Heads of APAC in compliance monitoring as per regulator risk management, broker and carrier governance protocols
- Limited broker liaison e.g. invoice and documentation management and archiving
- IT equipment and APAC cloud drive facilitator
- Liaising with our central marketing team on APAC content generation and sponsorship coordination
- Content monitoring and coordination on platforms including Hubspot, Salesforce contacts, Hubdoc, Trello, LinkedIn etc.
FINANCE & OPERATIONS
- Liaising with our central Finance team and local insurances to ensure processes are streamlined and consistent
- Miscellaneous secretarial and operational tasks relating to your local hub
- Financial tasks relating to your local hub including handling invoices, ensuring payments are processed in coordination with our central team, etc.
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
- Around 2 years’ experience in an operations and/or administrative role
- Prior exposure to working in an agile and international environment
- You have a track record of working with Microsoft Office
- Experience and knowledge of the insurance sector – highly valued
- You have demonstrated how to conduct project management effectively
- A strong sense of confidentiality and stakeholder management
- Comfortable coordinating with people at all levels of seniority
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills
- Fluency in English (written and verbal communication) required
- Eye for quality and strong attention to detail
- Results oriented, high energy, with the ability to work in a dynamic and multi-cultural environment
- Excellent team player with an entrepreneurial mindset and value of diversity
- Desire to take on new challenges associated with existing in a start-up environment
- Motivated to learn and help improve businesses’ and communities’ resilience to climate change
- Displays autonomy and ownership in his/her work
- Ability to take a proactive, hands-on approach to solving current and forthcoming issues
- Strong desire to learn and commitment to the organization’s mission